I get a hankerin’ for Buffalo chicken more than I’ll admit here. Wings, boneless tenders, cheesy dips, you name it… but it’s not always the healthiest option. To keep the flavor but kick the unhealthy fried junk, I thought of this Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Salad. It hit me one day when I was making the plain ol’ classic version of chicken salad that I needed to punch up a bit. So, along came this Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Salad. A bit healthier I’d say. Use some good quality mayo, blue cheese and lean chicken breast and you’re on your way to a flavor packed chicken salad.
I added the classic accompaniments to a meal of buffalo wings right into the salad, finely chopped celery and carrots give it a little extra personality and texture. The soft crumbled blue cheese adds an extra bite, and you can add a little more or a little less depending on your tastes. It’s perfect for tailgates, picnics, sandwiches at the beach, school lunches or weeknight dinners. You really can’t go wrong.
- 4-5 Cups shredded chicken
- Garlic Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Franks Buffalo Sauce (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 Cup Finely diced celery (about 1.5 stalks of celery)
- 1/2 Cup Finely diced carrot (about 2 large carrots)
- 1/2 Cup crumbled blue cheese (add more depending on taste)
- 3/4-1 Cup Mayo
- In a large bowl add the shredded chicken, add a few shakes of garlic salt and pepper, then evenly distribute the buffalo sauce of your choice, stir to distribute. Add the carrots and celery, then stir in the mayo. Start with just 1/2 cup of the mayo then add more until the consistency you desire is reached. Add in blue cheese crumbles. Mix well but gently.
- Serve in a sandwich, on salad or as an app with pita triangles at a party .
- For the shredded chicken, you can either get a rotisserie chicken, already cooked at the store. Or just bake 4-5 chicken breasts - seasoned with garlic salt on 300 until cooked throughout. Let cool then shred with two forks pulling in opposite directions.
You can either use chicken breast and shred it, or grab a couple rotisserie chicken if you are in a bit of a hurry. No matter which you use, make sure you shred the pieces to similar size and season well.
Finely chop the celery and carrots to similar size pieces. You want some freshness and texture here, but not big chunks that combat the delicate consistency of the blue cheese. I make them pretty thin, and think it works best that way.
I like to use Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce, but you can of course use your favorite. I like the middle of the road flavor so it isn’t too spicy for those that can’t take the heat. But you can always amp it up and add more if you want an extra punch of flavor. (This isn’t sponsored by them, I just like the stuff.)
Serve up the Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Salad on a sandwich, over lettuce, with veggies, or as a party dip with some pita triangles. Bring along the bottle of you buffalo sauce so you can add an extra dash of flavor.