I know we are heading into summer, and people are heading outside to grill, but sometimes you just need to throw a one pot meal together and stay in the cool A/C.
Most days when you are craving comfort food you don’t want to wait ages to get it, I certainly don’t. Well, I have a creamy, comforty chicken dish for you- ready lickity split. This Creamy Chicken and Broccoli with Wild Rice has only a few simple steps but yields layers of flavor. The perfect one skillet meal- and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Although not the most beautiful dish, it makes up for its appearance with oooodles of flavor. I could have dressed it up for you, but I was too hungry and it tastes too good. I couldn’t wait to share it with you!
The rice in this dish can be made ahead to save you some time on a busy weeknight. I often prep food AFTER dinner in the evenings. It might sound like a bit more work, but it really cuts down on your cook time when you get home from work and still have a lot to do. I know I’m always checking emails, having to run back out the door for forgotten errands, etc. So cooking a little bit the night before is such a big help.
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 Head Broccoli chopped into florets (or about 2 cups cooked)
- 2 1/2 Cups Cooked Brown and Wild Rice
- 2 - 21/2 Cups Chicken Broth (to cook rice)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- Olive oil
- 2/3 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan (plus extra for topping)
- Clean and cut the chicken into 1" pieces, season with garlic salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add two tablespoons of the butter, and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until lightly browned. While the chicken is cooking, steam the broccoli until just cooked, but still firm.
- When the chicken is done, toss in the broccoli to the pan. Add another drizzle of olive oil, then add the cooked brown rice, the remaining butter, milk and cream. Stir to distribute and cook over medium heat, continuously stirring so nothing burns or sticks. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until warmed throughout. Add the parmesan cheese and stir. Cook for 2 more min. Plate and top with a dash more parmesan on each plate.
- To cook the Bob's Red Mill Wild and Brown Rice- you will need about 45-55 min. This step can be done ahead. I like to cook it the night before when you aren't on a time crunch and so you're ready to go on the fly.
I love the Bob’s Red Mill Wild and Brown Rice blend, it’s good quality, reasonably priced and easy to find.