A little sweet, a little tart. A little naughty, a little nice. No, I’m not talking about myself (but those terms might apply) I’m introducing the Randy Reindeer- The new Christmas Cocktail!
Holiday celebrations aren’t complete without a bevvie to cin cin with, so I got to cocktail crafting once again. The flavors in the Randy Reindeer are some of my Christmastime favorites: crisp cranberry, orange from the triple sec, hints of brown sugar and pops of bubbly. You can serve these at any holiday gathering, it’s the perfect beverage for a happy hour, festive party, Christmas eve, or to wind down the day after opening gifts.
You can mix these up ahead of time if you are entertaining friends and family, or taking along with you for holiday happenings. I’ve made this to bring to parties and it’s easy to transport all mixed up, so you don’t have to lug all the ingredients. Just don’t forget the sugar for rimming and the champagne for popping, and topping off.
- 2.5 Cups Pomegranate Juice
- 2.5 Cups Cranberry Juice
- 2.5 Cups Vodka
- 1/2 Cup Triple Sec
- Peach Bitters
- Brown Sugar
- Brut Rosé sparkling wine
- Red sugar (for rimming glasses)
- A couple of hours or a day ahead, Melt a cup of brown sugar and a cup of cranberry juice and simmer over medium heat. Reduce to a thin syrup. Let cool completely before adding to drink. Don't refrigerate. (This will make enough for a couple of batches and cooks down to about a cup)
- In a large pitcher, combine the pomegranate juice, cranberry juice and vodka. Stir. Then add the triple sec and peach bitters and about 1/4 cup of the cranberry-brown sugar syrup. Stir again.
- In a small (flat bottom) dish, pour out about 1/2 cup of colored sugar. In a shallow, flat dish, pour about 1/4 cup of liquid (you can use cranberry juice, the prosecco or whatever you'd like). Dip the glass you'd like to use in the liquid, then in the sugar. Add in ice and then pour in drink mixture. Top with a large splash of the brut rose.
Over medium heat, melt the brown sugar into the cranberry juice until you have a thin syrup. (Similar to maple syrup consistency.)
Set the syrup aside and let cool completely before adding to the drink.
In a large pitcher, combine the juices and vodka, stir, then add other ingredients.
Place red sugar (you can also mix in white sugar) on a flat bottom dish to rim the glasses.
You can serve in a tumbler on the rocks or in a chilled martini glass.
Splash on the rosé and celebrate!
Happy Holidays and Salute!