Sometimes you go to the farmer’s market and buy a half flat of strawberries. Sometimes you have a bunch of bananas you forgot to eat in their 32 second window or perfectness. Sometimes you put all of it together to make something magical. Strawberry Banana Bread is it.
I quite enjoy banana bread, but if I made the old staple every time I missed the window where they’re not too green, just perfectly yellow, and not full of freckles (Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a freckle hater…I’m covered in ‘em, just don’t like my bananas speckled.) I’d likely have an endless supply. One office mates and neighbors might get sick of.
Adding strawberries to the mix was an easy choice. They’re readily available, melt right in when sliced thin, and who doesn’t love the classic strawberry-banana combination?
This bread is simple and pretty quick to put together, just need about an hour to bake. So sit back and make a cuppa tea while you wait.
I love the raw sugar sprinkled on top, it give it just an extra pop of sweetness and a lovely texture. Serve with some softened honey butter or cream cheese.
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 TBS Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Raw sugar
- 2 thinly sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat oil and sugar together. Add eggs and banana pulp, and beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients, Geek yogurt and vanilla. Mix well. Gently stir in strawberries, and pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Layer the thinly sliced strawberries down the middle of the pan, then sprinkle top with raw sugar.
- Bake 45-55 min or until set and golden. If too brown at 45 min cover with foil.